Proper flossing is an essential part of maintaining a healthy mouth. Dentists recommend flossing at least once a day to remove plaque in areas between the teeth that are difficult to reach with a toothbrush. Flossing is just as beneficial as brushing when it comes to preventing the buildup of plaque, cavities, and gingivitis. Plaque that is not removed from teeth can eventually harden into tartar. This tartar will eventually work its way into the gums. By flossing properly every day, you can help keep your mouth and gums healthy. If you are experiencing pain or discomfort while flossing, you are probably flossing incorrectly. Here are five flossing tips from your favorite Los Angelesdentist.
- Floss before you brush your teeth. This helps loosen up food particles between your teeth that can then be swept away by your toothbrush.
- Floss before bedtime.You want to avoid going to sleep with plaque or food particles in your teeth. When you sleep, your saliva is not as active as it is during the day. It’s best to clean your teeth before resting your eyes for the night.
- Flossing keeps bad breath away. Flossing helps prevent a buildup of plaque in the mouth. If left alone, the buildup can lead to bad breath and other serious oral health problems.
- Flossing helps fight gingivitis and periodontal disease. When you don’t floss once a day or brush your teeth twice a day, inflammation in the gums can occur due to the accumulation of plaque between teeth. If left untreated, bacteria will hide out in your mouth, which could lead to periodontal disease.
- Use 12-18 inches of sturdy floss. If you are not using one of the newer “pick” style flossing tools, roll out about a foot and a half of the string style and wrap the excess around your finger, using about 1-2 inch sections to floss between each tooth. Be sure to use a clean section for each tooth gap!
For further information or questions about flossing, dental hygiene and/or treatments, Dr. Moradzadeh of Crystal Dental Center will ease all of your concerns and give you a smile you can be proud of. To schedule an appointment please contact Crystal Dental at 213.748.8448 or visit www.CrystalDentalCenters.com to learn more.